Waiver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiver

I am just curious if anyone can give me some insight on waivers. I am seeking to join the guard in South Carolina but I have a felony on my record from when I was 23, I'm 28 now. I'm getting conflicting reports from different people and online sources on eligibility. And before I spoke to a recruiter and wasted their time I was just curious if it was unheard of to get a waiver for the felony. It's non violent and doesn't involve drugs or abuse at all. It's Computer Crimes 1st degree. I made some careless mistakes and caused a bunch of damage to my work computer network. Any help would be appreciated!

Those with a felony conviction are typically disqualified from joining the National Guard.

(In a nutshell you have to legally be able to handle a firearm, in most cases you can't legally do that with a felony history)

Even the conviction of many of the more serious misdemeanors, involving domestic violence, violence or drugs, will also prevent those with a criminal record from enlisting in the National Guard.

Within the Regulations Felonies and Violent Misdemeanors are classified into Major Misconduct Offenses.

4–7. Major misconduct

a. A waiver is required for any applicant who has received a conviction or other adverse disposition for a major
    misconduct offense or any offense considered a felony under local law (see fig 4–4).

b. The approval authority is the CG, USAREC or CNGB. Applicants will incur a 24-month wait from the date of
    conviction prior to waiver processing.

Supplemental regulations in the past may have included provisions to allow the Army National Guard to waive up to one major misconduct offense. This would still depend on the circumstances of the crime along with the needs of the National Guard at current standing. Currently for level 400 (Felony) Major Misconduct Offenses it looks like the only type that are considered waiverable is a single Juvenile offense.

"Needs of the National Guard" play a large role in what waivers are being considered for approval. Keep in mind Waivers have to be approved. Even though supplemental provisions may provide the possibility to grant a waiver, that might not be the case. Policy updates are often kicked out applying temporary directives for Approval Authorities. These policy updates also change from time to time based on the needs of the National Guard.

When you enlist in the National Guard, you're enlisting for a particular State, needs may vary from State to State, local directives may vary. This could be the reasoning why you're receiving conflicting reports. Its best just to link up with a local Recruiter to see what is being approved in the area in which you wish to serve.

I personally wouldn't worry about whether or not you wasted a Recruiter's time, you won't know if you're eligible or not until you go in to talk to them. If its not possible at all, they'll typically know right away and let you know. At the least, you've made contact with a Recruiter where hopefully they got your contact information, if change in policy occurs that might increase your odds of eligibility or waiver approval, they can always contact you to see if you're still interested. If they're really on top of their game they'll still start a dialog with you to see if you have any qualified references/referrals they can contact.

Comment

Working...
    X